Saturday, November 23, 2019

More monsoon storms, August 2018

Monsoon season really got a good start and continued all the way through August. Almost every week, I encountered a perfect storm, and I was able to shoot quite a bit.
The first August storm happened on August 2, and it dumped so much rain in such a short amount of time, that several creeks flash flooded. My original intention was to shoot the storm on Kolob Terrace Road, but I barely made it halfway up when I was caught in the midst of it. There was so much rain coming down that I couldn' see more than 10 feet ahead of me.
When the rain finally receded a bit, I saw waterfalls coming down Tabernacle Dome.




In the distance, I heard the roaring sound of rushing water and eventually saw that Left Fork of North Creek had a flash flood. I really wanted to see it up close, so I drove back down to Virgin and waited at one of the overpasses for the water to come. I didn't need to wait for long. It was definitely cool to see the beginning of a flash flood happening right n front of me.

here it comes

seconds later the entire creek has flooded


On August 11, I had the next chance to shoot some unique storm images. The storm caught up on me while I was on a hike. Even though I got caught in it, I ended up with some good images. 



Another storm happened on August 21, and I hiked to the cinder cone volcanoes behind my place. Dramatic storm clouds lingered in the sky and created amazing scenes.

Dramatic Mammatus Clouds


Just when I thought the storm would die out after sunset, it picked up steam and created one of the best lightning shows I've seen in a long time. Bolt after bolt came down, and I didn't need to do much to capture some of them. 
First, I set the camera up on my lanai and captured some excellent shots of my apartment complex during the electrical storm.



Then, I went into an open field behind my place and kept shooting. The storm cell was pretty stationery and made it easy to capture some good lightning shots. 




This month definitely had a lot of good storm potential and luckily I could capture some of them while exploring the area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day Hike to Cache Lake, Yellowstone, August 2019

Cache Lake was initially not on my radar on my last trip to Yellowstone in August of 2019. But since I only have a whole list of hikes I cou...