Friday, March 9, 2018

A Day in Waikoloa, January 25

It was raining for days right now and at one point I was getting a bit weary of it. I really needed a bit of sunshine. The Waikoloa and Kona areas on the west coast of the Big island looked pretty good, so I decided to head over for a day and enjoy the nice weather.
I started early in the morning and added a few stops along the old Saddle Road. I hoped to find any Pueo's (Hawaiian Owls) hanging around, but none were out this morning.  Despite the lack of wildlife, the old Saddle Road was a nice stop. The early morning light was so nice and impressive Mauna Loa in the distance was for sure an eye-catcher.



up in the high country with Mauna Loa in the distance


I went to the Fairmond Orchid area and parked at the Holoholkai Beach Park and walked along the Coastal Trail. Der trail along the coast is always a pleasure and there is so much to see.


Soon after I saw a Black Crowned Night Heron sitting on a rock. As I came closer he dived into the water and came back with a fish in its beak. He flew to a rock and sat there for a while, posing motionless for me. It was pretty cool and I was able to catch a few really nice shots.



Big Gulp


I walked all the way to the Mauna Lani Resort, with several stops along the wonderful coast.
This was for sure a walk I could do over and over again.



Past Mauna Lani the coast was getting more rugged and even a few whales were flapping their tails out of the water. 



Later that evening I was treated to a nice sunset at my favorite spot. For sure a nice day and definitely no rain.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Day Hike to Cache Lake, Yellowstone, August 2019

Cache Lake was initially not on my radar on my last trip to Yellowstone in August of 2019. But since I only have a whole list of hikes I cou...