Monday, May 25, 2020

October snowstorm, October 6, 2018

We had a deep storm system moving in on October 6 and when I checked the radar I saw snow in the higher elevations. Wow, that's pretty early for a winter storm to happen. My original plan for this weekend was to chase the fall colors in some of the higher elevations like Cedar Breaks. I guess I would add some snow to it as well.
I left Hurricane in the rain and drove up Kolob Terrace Road.
Past the Reservoir I encountered the first patches of snow on the ground. And all the Aspen trees still had their yellow leaves, wow.


Soon everything was covered in clouds, fog, and snow and the road had at least half a foot of snow on it. I made it through the Cedar Mountain area and dropped down into Cedar Canyon.


From here I went up again toward Cedar Breaks. The higher I went, the more snow I encountered. It was pretty cool. I never thought I would be able to play in the snow in early October.


At the junction of Highway 148 and Highway 14 there was a good amount of snow.



The Cedar Breaks Visitor Center looked really nice with all the snow. I peaked into the canyon but I could see nothing. Just snow and fog. These are the days I really love the most.


I decided to go on a little snow hike starting from the Visitor Center to Sunset View Overlook. I was the first one to break trail and step into about a foot of snow.




It was more than amazing



a bit later the sun came out for a while and transformed everything into a powdered winter wonderland.


On my way back I went via Navajo Lake and loved the dusting of snow down there with the golden Aspen trees. It was a clash of the seasons for sure but was a wonderful trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day Hike to Cache Lake, Yellowstone, August 2019

Cache Lake was initially not on my radar on my last trip to Yellowstone in August of 2019. But since I only have a whole list of hikes I cou...