Monday, May 25, 2020

Subway Bottom Up, July 8, 2019

it's hot down here in the desert. Really hot.
With the summer heat in full swing, it limits my hikes a lot. Unless I hike at night I usually try to find hikes with a lot of water.
The Subway is one of my favorite summer hikes that definitely fulfills the criteria. After an amazing trip with friends last week, I checked the calendar for returned permits and could snag another one.
I still recover from my Achilles tendonitis, so I was a little worried if it would be a good idea to go so soon and also with new shoes. It turned out all worries were for nothing and I had a good time.
I started a bit later than usual, but it was not a photography trip but a fun trip with hanging out in the pools and cascades. That's why I started at about 7:45 am.
There were only cars at the parking lot when I got there and after I had my backpack ready, I began my descent into the canyon to the Left Fork North Creek. The descent is always a bit of a slow move, primarily because of the steepness paired with loose rocks that make it super easy to slip and fall.
I made it down to the bottom pretty fast and started to work my way up.
Along both sides of the creek are social trails you can follow if you wanna avoid getting wet.
Most of the time I hiked in the creek as my goal was to get wet.
There is still a bit of snowmelt runoff going on and some spots are still deeper than normal.



The refreshing water felt so good and I enjoyed walking in the creek bed. The sun was still behind the cliffs and the pleasant temperatures made the hike a lot more enjoyable than I thought.
Eventually, I reached the dinosaur tracks and walked to the opposite side to get a better overall view. The slab of Kayenta sandstone is pretty impressive and the view of the tracks close up does not pay justice.




The next mile was not super exciting but the reflections were pretty.



A lot of birds and frogs were out and enjoyed watching them.



American Dipper


Canyon Treefrog sunbathing on a rock

I reached Archangel Falls and from here the entire hike was pure joy and eye candy. I really love the last mile and all its waterfalls and tall canyon walls.





Almost every step from here leads to some goodies.




Wildflowers were in full bloom, mainly Columbines, Monkeyflower, and Shooting Stars.






The famous crack in the sandstone




I walked around the corner to the beginning of the Subway. Adventure and fun were waiting to happen.



I dropped my stuff on the side and made my way up to the actual Subway section. The sun was ready to come above the tall cliffs.


The Subway Bathtubs


the famous view


View towards the Waterfall room

I quickly snapped my pictures and then the sun came around and made it pretty hard to take good images. I went into the pools that led to the waterfall room, but the water was still neck-deep, so no pictures from behind.
The water was really refreshing, I would say it was about 50 degrees.

It didn't prevent me from not jumping into the big Subway pool. Snowmelt and high flow rates had washed away all the sand and sediment and the pools were finally nice and pretty again.
I set up my camera and then the fun began!!!



Cannonball Selfie



Shortly after I was done with my images, a large group rappelled down and they screamed like pigs when they went into the water.
The water was just perfect and refreshing!!! All of them chickened out and stayed hesitant on the edge of the big pool. I jumped in a few more times and then they finally went as well, followed by big screams.
The sun finally lit up most of the Subway and I went and sat in my Bathtub pool.




It was perfect. I just missed a glass of wine and some snacks.

After about an hour of jumping in the pools, I hiked out.
I stopped again at the last waterfall and used the natural waterslide to have fun.




The hike out was interrupted by dozens of stops to jump in some of the pools along the way. It was super fun and refreshing.
With all the playtime it took me about 8 hours to complete the hike. But the playtime and all the water was the whole purpose of the trip.
I can't wait to go again. As soon as a permit opens in the calendar on one of my off days, I definitely do the whole thing again.

I was pretty impressed with the performance of my new La Sportiva water shoes and had no issues.
My Achilles tendon definitely needs some time to rest at one point, but so far it works and I still hike and do stuff.
I can't wait to go back and do the whole hike again

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day Hike to Cache Lake, Yellowstone, August 2019

Cache Lake was initially not on my radar on my last trip to Yellowstone in August of 2019. But since I only have a whole list of hikes I cou...