Tuesday, March 20, 2018

A morning out with Pele, February 26, 2018

A morning out with Pele
I did another scouting trip to the lava this morning to the new flows within the park boundary. It finally dried out a bit and I was more than excited to take a few images and video footage with my good camera. The last few days had been so soaking wet, I did not even bring a camera out on my tours. But this morning was the day I was waiting for. 



Huge rivers were coming down all over the place, at the former boundary Kipuka just outside the park as well as far inside the park in two separate locations. I decided to hike halfway up Kamoamoa Pali as activity looked really nice up there with huge rivers coming down. And what a sight it was!! 



I reached the area in the dark and scrambled around for a while to get the best perspectives. Pahoehoe lava rivers were coming down pretty fast and soon changed to A'a and back. It was absolutely amazing. Pele provided a wonderful show and let me enjoy her creations for quite a while. Even the weather held up until the hike out when it started to pour like crazy again.



I hiked about 11 miles to get to my spot just below the long Kipuka inside the park, so if you want to head out and see some lava, be prepared for a long hike. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day Hike to Cache Lake, Yellowstone, August 2019

Cache Lake was initially not on my radar on my last trip to Yellowstone in August of 2019. But since I only have a whole list of hikes I cou...