Tuesday, July 31, 2018

The Big Quake, May 4, 2018

We had small earthquakes the entire night. Continuous shaking, vibrating, rattling. Some were really small, some bigger. The shaking woke me up a few times that night. It was pretty annoying.
I guess this is what happens when you live in a volcanically active zone and lava intrusion is causing the rocks to breaks and creating all these earthquakes.
While having a late breakfast and checking updates of the volcano on my computer, an earthquake occurred. It was quite big and my first thought was that it was more than a 5.0.
Pretty crazy.
Soon enough USGS confirmed it as a 5.4.
My house is on post and pier, so it shook quite a bit.
An hour later we had another earthquake, this time it was way different. It was violent. It didn't come in waves. This was a real seismic quake. I had to hold on my table, everything was shaking violently without stopping. Pictures fell down the wall, cups from my counter. It went on and on and felt as if it was lasting for at least 25 seconds.
It was crazy. I lost power and when it was over the first thought I had was "wow!!! I guess this was the biggest earthquake I ever experienced!!"
I went outside and walked around the house, checking for damages. The water in my catchment tank was sloshing back and forth for at least 20 minutes.
Power was out for at least 1.5 hours, it was hard to get any information about what happened as cell service was also almost non-existent.
After a while, I learned it was a 6.9 earthquake that shook the entire Big Island of Hawai'i and even caused a little bit of damage in Hilo.
It was unbelievable. It was the first time I ever had experienced such a big earthquake. Hundreds of small quakes followed today and in the next few days, we experienced some several thousand earthquakes between 2.5 and 5.0. The good thing about it, after a while you get used to the continuous shaking and only react when the jolts are bigger than a 4.0, lol.





Source: USGS Volcanoes earthquakes May 1-4, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day Hike to Cache Lake, Yellowstone, August 2019

Cache Lake was initially not on my radar on my last trip to Yellowstone in August of 2019. But since I only have a whole list of hikes I cou...