Friday, August 10, 2018

Lower Puna during the ongoing eruption, May 25, 2018

For more than two weeks the new eruption was going on and there was no sign that it would stop soon. Fissure 8 was active than ever and each day properties and roads were taken.
We all had to deal with bad air quality at several times, torrential rain as the volcano produced its own localized weather. Not to mention the forever sunset. After dark, the sky lit up in a bright red and lasted the entire night.
Tonight, I went out to my favorite photo spot in Hawaiian Paradise Park and walked along the cliffs.
It was pretty cloudy but the clouds started to lit up really nice for a few minutes.


I wanted until it was getting really really dark and wasn't disappointed by the provided light show. 
At first, the glow was just visible for a bit but soon grew stronger and stronger.




Even a few stars were visible for a few moments before it started to rain again.
I decided to drive down to the town of Pahoa. I had a special shot in mind at the Catholic Church where there was a Jesus statue on the lawn. When I arrived the sky was deep red and the glow of fissure 8 was reflecting in the sky. It almost looked like an apocalyptic scene to me.


I was pretty happy with the results and stopped at the Pahoa High School as well to take a picture of the intersection of highway 130 and highway 132.


Back home I took a few shots from my driveway and garden. Even about 6 miles away the glow was pretty dominant and lit up the sky. 



It was an interesting evening and was for sure a new reality for most of us here in lower Puna. I'm not sure how long the eruption will last but this could go on forever. 
For me, an end was in sight as I will move back to the mainland in about 2 weeks. I will for sure miss the volcano, lava, and all the nice areas here in lower Puna.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day Hike to Cache Lake, Yellowstone, August 2019

Cache Lake was initially not on my radar on my last trip to Yellowstone in August of 2019. But since I only have a whole list of hikes I cou...