Thursday, August 2, 2018

Helicopter flight over the lava, May 19, 2018

When friends asked me if I would be interested to fly in a helicopter doors off across the active fissure eruption in Leilani Estates I didn't hesitate. This was a chance for me to finally see the new eruption. I wasn't sure what to expect because I've never been in a helicopter before.
We had an early morning flight and checked in at Hilo airport with Paradise Helicopters about an hour before our flight took place. After all the instructions were done our seats were assigned.
I sat next to the pilot which was pretty cool.
We took off and headed towards Lower Puna. Because we were all photographers the pilot offered us to only hower over the lava flow which we gratefully appreciated. Due to flight restrictions, the helicopter had to fly 3,000 ft high but even from this elevation, we could feel the heat. It was intense, wow.

The massive rivers of lava were just unbelievable and breathtaking. There was a lot of haze in the air and a sulfur steam plume as well but despite these conditions, the view of the channelized lava river was something I will never forget.


massive fissure eruption



 W hovered many times across the area, above the several fissures and the PGV. Luckily, the thermal energy plant had removed all of its flammable material a few days ago and also quenched and shut off the valves. It was heartbreaking to see all the houses in Pele's path, some of them only feet away from the lava river.

PGV to the right, fissures and lava near the property


The flow front was less than half a mile away from entering the ocean and I'm pretty sure it will happen either tonight or tomorrow. Really crazy to think about it. But the massive river of lava was flowing so fast, there was no way it would stop soon.

some structures still standing surrounded by lava

close-up lava river

The entire 45 minutes felt as they were passing by way too fast. But the bird's eye view was an absolutely amazing experience. I gained a whole new perspective of this eruptive event.


After a final round across the eruption area, we flew back to Hilo. Luckily the weather cooperated on our flight and I ended up with quite a few shots I liked. I don't know how many pictures I took, my memory card was almost full. Thanks to Paradise Helicopter for this amazing flight experience, I never thought I will ever fly in a helicopter.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Day Hike to Cache Lake, Yellowstone, August 2019

Cache Lake was initially not on my radar on my last trip to Yellowstone in August of 2019. But since I only have a whole list of hikes I cou...