Saturday, August 11, 2018

early morning hike to The Vortex, June 24, 2018

Temperatures above 100F are the norm in Southern Utah during the summer months.
But that doesn't mean you can't get out and hike. You simply need to adjust your activities to cooler temperatures of the day.
Today, I decided to hike with some friends to the Vortex, a popular short hike near Veyo.  We started in the pre-dawn hours and nice light surrounded us for a while.


The trail is pretty sandy at some spots. At one point I discovered a still water-filled pothole and was surprised to see it packed with canyon tree frogs. I've never seen so many of them at the same spot. It was just amazing.


The sun was up soon after this fun encounter and lit up the sandstone cliffs. We soon began to climb up to the Camelback Mountain. Within its sandstone area was the Vortex, a deep pothole bowl. It was pretty cool to see.

view to the west towards Square Top Mountain



The short hike out was uneventful. The entire area has a lot of potential for future explorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day Hike to Cache Lake, Yellowstone, August 2019

Cache Lake was initially not on my radar on my last trip to Yellowstone in August of 2019. But since I only have a whole list of hikes I cou...